We are exposed to pesticides, antibiotics and hormones in food, chemicals from food packaging, household cleaners, detergents, food additives, heavy metals, and pollution on a daily basis. The toxins can create a burden on our system, causing hormonal imbalance, impaired immune function, nutritional deficiency, and an inefficient metabolism (i.e. weight gain).
Not to worry though because we can take action to help our bodies remove these toxins! Replacing a meal or even several meals with an easily digestible and extremely nutritious option such as a yummy smoothie or fresh juice is one way to help. But my favorite detox meal, particularly in the winter months, is the warm and satisfying dish called Kitchari. This cleansing recipe is a staple in India and has been eaten by yogis for centuries.
- ½ cup Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Mung Dal (split yellow)
- 6 cups (approx.) Water
- ½ to 1 inch Ginger Root, chopped or grated
- a bit of Mineral Salt (1/4 tsp. or so)
- 2 tsp. Ghee
- ½ tsp. Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp. Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp. Whole Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp. Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (Hing)
- Handful Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 1 and ½ cups Assorted Vegetables (optional)
- Sort through dal to remove any stones. Rinse rice and dal separately in at least 2 changes of water. Add the 6 cups of water to the rice and dal and cook covered until it becomes soft, about 20 minutes.
- While that is cooking, chop vegetables if using. Add the vegetables to the cooked rice and dal mixture and cook 10 minutes longer.
- In a separate saucepan, sauté the seeds in the ghee until they pop. Then add the other spices. Stir together to release the flavors. Stir the sautéed spices into the cooked dal, rice, and vegetable mixture. Add the salt and chopped fresh cilantro and serve.
Some of these ingredients such as Split Mung Dal, Ghee and Hing (can be omitted) are not on our typical grocery list. Health food stores typically have ghee (clarified butter) and the various spices. The Dal may be trickier but can be ordered from Banyan Botanicals or substituted with lentils.
I hope you enjoy this hearty detox recipe. Your body will thank you!