I wanted to make a quick (yet yummy and healthy) dinner this past Sunday so I chose this Pumpkin Pistachio Kale Fried Rice with Tofu recipe from Healthy.Happy.Life. I made a few tweaks to the recipe, making prep time faster. The main change- already prepared rice and tofu from the Whole Foods salad bar.
If a salad bar is not an option for you, most supermarkets carry the Seeds of Change Ready to Heat Rice or Minute Brand Ready To Serve Rice. Already baked Tofu may be available as well. Westsoy makes an Asian Teriyaki baked tofu that will work nicely in this recipe.
- 1¾ cups cooked brown rice, short grain preferred
- 3 Tbsp raw pistachios
- 1 small, chopped
- 1½ cups organic kale, chopped
- 1 medium juicy orange
- 4 Tbsp pumpkin puree
- ⅛ tsp salt (or to taste)
- ⅛ tsp fine black pepper
- pinch of cayenne or turmeric (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 cup already baked tofu cubes, firm
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the pistachio nuts and saute for another minute until they are toasted.
- Add 1 tsp oil, rice, pumpkin, salt, pepper, optional garlic, cayenne and/or tumeric. Stir to distribute the pumpkin through the rice.
- Squeeze half of the orange into the pan. Drizzle the maple syrup into the pan. Add the tofu, diced orange and kale and continue to sauté for another minute.
- side note: If you are unable to find pre-baked tofu, simply drain and cube firm tofu. After adding the orange juice to the rice, move the rice to the side and add the tofu, drizzle it with syrup and sauté for a moment until the edges are browned. Then reincorporate with the rice and add the remaining ingredients.
Just add a green salad to make a super satisfying meal!
recipe adapted from Happy.Healthy.Life